Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Brother and Let's Make a Deal to Finally Take the Plunge...  (Read 19033 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
...into High Definition.

I'm not surprised that it took them three years to make all the changes to go in HD. Glad to hear that they planned on doing it a while ago though.

As for LMAD, I wonder if the change in format will mean a change in studio or have they just converted the studio to HD. I also wonder if the set will see any major changes to accommodate the change.

Now that television has reached this point in its history, it made me think about something that I thought I knew the answer to but can't remember. What was the last network show to make the switch to color?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

aaron sica

Re: Big Brother and Let's Make a Deal to Finally Take the Plunge...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
Some have said "American Bandstand" was the last....I know that "Dark Shadows" didn't make the transition until 1967 (had to check on the date..was August 11 of that year).

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
The Secret Storm went to color in March 1968

pacdude

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
According to Wikipedia: "Also in 1972, the last holdout among daytime network programs converted to color, resulting in the first completely all-color network season." Granted, grain of salt and all that, but that's a lot later than I thought it would be.

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
There are TV Guide listings from 1967 that show Secret Storm as being in color, so I don't think that is accurate (even though the claim is pervasive on Wikipedia.)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:36:03 PM »
According to Wikipedia: "Also in 1972, the last holdout among daytime network programs converted to color, resulting in the first completely all-color network season." Granted, grain of salt and all that, but that's a lot later than I thought it would be.

That late? Wow....I wonder what that "last holdout" was...

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »
There are TV Guide listings from 1967 that show Secret Storm as being in color, so I don't think that is accurate (even though the claim is pervasive on Wikipedia.)
Would the overall claim of Secret Storm being the last to go to color be correct, regardless of date?

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
Had no idea Big Brother (or any primetime shows for that matter) was not in HD. Is that the last primetime show to do so?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
That would be a lot of cameras to swap out. I wonder how many are filming the "house" at all times?

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 04:28:21 AM »
Had no idea Big Brother (or any primetime shows for that matter) was not in HD.

I suspect it's as Thunder was implying, getting all of those surveillance-type cameras upgraded to HD was probably cost prohibitive, hence them being a holdout.  I suppose they could have done a hybrid broadcast with HD main cameras (for the games and group interviews and whatnot) and then pillarbox the non-HD stuff, but it would have been disjointed.

brianhenke

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
 The BBC switched to color in 1969.  (That's why the Hartnell and Troughton Doctor Who was in B&W.)

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
Probably best to leave this discussion to U.S. shows only. Australia was B&W into the 1970s and who knows how late some other countries may have gone.
@lambertman

weaklink75

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
Wasn't Concentration the last NBC show to make the switch to color in '66 or thereabouts?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
Of course, on Wikipedia, hosts are "presenters" and announcers are "narrators."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Of course, on Wikipedia, hosts are "presenters" and announcers are "narrators."

Which has what to do with the quoted statement?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe