Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NY TV listings observations (questions)  (Read 12738 times)

catnap1972

NY TV listings observations (questions)
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
Been looking through some of Newsday's archives for various things and found some curiosities in the TV listings that I didn't know (or remember):

* Hollywood Squares aired both on WPIX and WABC during parts of 1981?  Were the former reruns?  Also didn't remember that WPIX had an 8-10pm block of game shows during the late '70s.

* Syndie YDS re-ran up until late 1980 on WPIX?  Seemed to be on early Saturday afternoons at the end of it's existance.

*Was wondering where (original) 3AC showed up...apparently 9 or 9:30am on WCBS.  Was it ever rerun anywhere (WOR?) once it met it's demise in first run or did it stay buried until GSN dug it up?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:24:44 PM by catnap1972 »

snowpeck

Re: NY TV listings observations (questions)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
I have a WPIX airing of Hollywood Squares on tape from around that time that appears to be a repeat of an NBC daytime episode. I guess there was a repeat package circulating at that time.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
* Hollywood Squares aired both on WPIX and WABC during parts of 1981?

Similar thing happened in LA around the same time.  I was looking at old TVGuides not too long ago and discovered it ran weekdays on (I think) KTLA, and once-weekly on KABC.  They both seemed to be syndicated episodes from the celebrity listings.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
The way I read it, WABC was airing the syndicated weekly series for some time. Once it expanded to daily for its last season, WPIX picked it up.

9 in the morning for Three's a Crowd? Seems a little early for them to be airing a weekly, no?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
Filmways had a deal with ABC o&o's in NYC and LA for two prime access slots for HSq.  The other station that was airing the strip were given two repeat episodes to fill.

As far as 3ac is concerned, stations were offered reruns at the same time "Best of the Dating Game," Newlywed, Gong Show and Treasure Hunt were offered.  (Early 80's)  According to the back issues of TVG I have, there was at least one station in Florida that reran 3AC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:34:09 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
9 in the morning for Three's a Crowd? Seems a little early for them to be airing a weekly, no?
I thought it was a daily series.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
I thought it was a daily series.
It was available as either daily or weekly.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:45:56 AM »
Yes, 3ac was a daily and weekly.  In LA, Channel 4 had it in the daytime and Channel 2 had it weekly in prime access.

JMFabiano

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
Interesting how much game show programming WPIX really had back in the day.  I always considered (W)WOR to be the King of Games in the NYC market. 

Now which Newsday would I be looking at?

Related note: I am planning a book about NYC television in the '70s and '80s.  This thread as such is extra interesting to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:21:16 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:49:41 AM »
The game shows that were on WPIX from 8-10pm were run on a somewhat haphazard way.  They were often pre-empted by Yankees games, movies, specials, etc.  As I recall, they had TTD, LMAD reruns, YDS!, Garagiola TTTT (long after they ended production) and Celebrity Charades.  Since none of those shows had a barter component, Channel 11 had the ability to schedule them as needed.  I live in Michigan, so the way I got these listings was by subscribing to a magazine called Cue New York.  They are archived in Google Books if you want to look at them.  I started getting the mag in early 1979.  By the fall of 79, WPIX changed their prime time lineup, with Jim Rockford, Private Investigator taking the 8pm slot.

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
The game shows that were on WPIX from 8-10pm were run on a somewhat haphazard way.  They were often pre-empted by Yankees games, movies, specials, etc.  As I recall, they had TTD, LMAD reruns, YDS!, Garagiola TTTT (long after they ended production) and Celebrity Charades.  Since none of those shows had a barter component, Channel 11 had the ability to schedule them as needed.  I live in Michigan, so the way I got these listings was by subscribing to a magazine called Cue New York.  They are archived in Google Books if you want to look at them.  I started getting the mag in early 1979.  By the fall of 79, WPIX changed their prime time lineup, with Jim Rockford, Private Investigator taking the 8pm slot.

$50K Pyramid aired on the station too, no? 

Cue New York had listings for all NY channels?  I ask because of course PIX and WOR are likely to turn up everywhere since they were superstations.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
Cue New York had listings for all the NYC stations.  The magazine was absorbed by New York Magazine and the listings didn't last long after that.

JMFabiano

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
I have come across listings in New York Magazine as well...interesting note: there was at least one week in December of 1983 where Fantasy and MG/HS alternated during the week in the 3 pm hour.  I didn't know they were still rerunning the former when the latter premiered, or was this a listing error?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
An error.

catnap1972

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »

$50K Pyramid aired on the station too, no? 

February '81 had it at 10:30am (WPIX), right after HSQ (rerun).

WOR was often really weird with their scheduling...I'd thought they had a long block in the afternoon but a lot of times just had one show after the noon news then 3 or 4 shows between 6-8pm with movies in between.  Early 1980 had PtP at 12:30 then TJW-TTD-FtM after 6pm.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:20:36 PM by catnap1972 »