Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR production question  (Read 4870 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR production question
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
In watching what I assume was a rerun this morning, I noticed that Sony provided prizes in the closing credits.  Apple did not.  When giving prize descriptions, Sony was not mentioned, while the Ipod and MacBook names were.  Is there some reasoning behind this (e.g. a CBS conflict) or is it sloppy production work?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR production question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

In watching what I assume was a rerun this morning, I noticed that Sony provided prizes in the closing credits. Apple did not. When giving prize descriptions, Sony was not mentioned, while the Ipod and MacBook names were. Is there some reasoning behind this (e.g. a CBS conflict) or is it sloppy production work?

Curious, what was the Sony product?

WRT the Apple products, do you really show an iPod on the screen and describe it with \"This MP3 player holds a farkton of tunes and runs apps and games!\" without looking like a bunch of complete ninnies?

You might get away with that with the MacBook (\"This laptop computer is easy to use and a crap gaming platform!\"), but that would depend on context, which I don\'t have.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:39:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

TPiR production question
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
I can see where Mark\'s coming from here but at the same time, the question would probably best be answered by them since it was their judgment call, no?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR production question
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
It was a stereo system in the showcase.  The apple products came immediately after.  I guess my real question is why any company would want to pay for their product to be plugged when others are getting theirs for free. (Michael Kors also got a free plug today too, I believe).  I\'ve  read that the show has had trouble getting sponsors-perhaps its reasons like this?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:18:45 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

NickS

TPiR production question
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
I will say this - I think they have to use at least some semblance of what the product is at least visually since they\'re talking about actual products. It\'s not like it\'d be a good S&P idea to put black tape and make an item generic.

I think the added value is that the brand name and the eight-second marketing plug is being read.

This is nothing more than a hunch, but maybe to even use the item on the show they had to say it by name?

clemon79

TPiR production question
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

This is nothing more than a hunch, but maybe to even use the item on the show they had to say it by name?

It\'s a good hunch, as that is totally something Apple would do.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR production question
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Or else what, though? Notwithstanding that Drew is happy to give Apple free publicity in telling the audience about how great the products are, who ever heard of putting an embargo on the show as opposed to the other way round?
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

TPiR production question
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
Good point, but if you\'re one of those product\'s companies and the generic copy rubs you the wrong way, then that\'s going to be a bit awkward, no?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR production question
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Any feeling of awkwardness would be mollified by the fact that it is a rarity for the contestant or host to say \"Pizza Snack\" or \"Soda,\" they say \"I\'ll take five Hot Pockets,\" or \"7up, Drew!\"
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

TPiR production question
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »

Or else what, though? Notwithstanding that Drew is happy to give Apple free publicity in telling the audience about how great the products are, who ever heard of putting an embargo on the show as opposed to the other way round?

Perhaps you are not familiar with Apple, a company who in very large part hangs their success on controlling the message.

That is how they work. If Apple is going to have their project featured on a TV show, any TV show, I imagine they insist on retaining a lot of control as to how their product is presented, and I would bet that extends to product copy.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR production question
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »

Perhaps you are not familiar with Apple, a company who in very large part hangs their success on controlling the message.

That is how they work. If Apple is going to have their project featured on a TV show, any TV show, I imagine they insist on retaining a lot of control as to how their product is presented, and I would bet that extends to product copy.

And Apple does what when TPIR says exactly where they can go? Forbid a game show from giving away their products?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

TPiR production question
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »

And Apple does what when TPIR says exactly where they can go? Forbid a game show from giving away their products?

Yes, that is precisely what they do. Apple\'s sales are just fine with or without the Drew Carey Bump.

We run into this fairly often at work. When we feature a game on the Dash, we are effectively giving that game free advertising, so they shouldn\'t care how we do it, yes? And yet, some publishers who shall remain nameless (though if you have a guess as to which publishers I\'m talking about, you\'re probably right) are INCREDIBLY hardassed about approving the images and headline text that we use, to the point of wanting to crop images themselves (which we never let them do, because they invariably fark it up) instead of letting our art people (who know what they are doing) do it.

So while I obviously cannot be certain because I am not part of the TPiR production staff, all I\'m saying is that the likelyhood of Apple flexing their virtual peen in the name of Controlling The Message is very much non-zero, based on past actions.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR production question
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
Huh, you said \"peen.\"
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR production question
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
I don\'t know the answer to this, but as has been mentioned before in this thread, Drew really, really likes Apple products, so I wouldn\'t be surprised if that alone is why they\'re getting their name tossed around for free when other companies wouldn\'t under the same circumstances.

Honestly, I\'m much more surprised about the Sony thing. That\'s weird. (Unless they added the credits in post and screwed it up, in which case it\'s not.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:19:42 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

ClockGameJohn

TPiR production question
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »

To my knowledge, there are far fewer prizes sponsored on the show now than ever.  However, one of the production values that the current team sees as a benefit is to offer \"cool\" or extravagent prizes to [supposedly] entice more viewers to tune in.  This is at the full cost of the production company.  If the show is going to spend money to specifically highlight and give away Gucci products even if they are not sponsored, they certainly may as well mention it by name.

I do know that a few years back, the show was literally shopping at the outlets in Cabazon.  There was a specific high-end company whose products were being featured on the show, but did not sponsor the prizes and the show was mentioning it by name.  They actually received a call from the company asking them to stop promoting their products and stop offering them on the show, as they felt that their items were above the Price is Right gameshow-esque target audience.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:04:36 PM by ClockGameJohn »