Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF pronunclation question  (Read 12987 times)

bradhig

WOF pronunclation question
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »

The navy lady said "Seven swams a swimmin" and was robbed.  Has this happened before?   This has me scratching my head.

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »
"Robbed" is a bit dramatic.

Unfortunate? Sure. But she should've known better than to solve that casually.
-Joe Raygor

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »
This has me scratching my head.
I really don't get why people are so up in arms over this. You have to read what's up there, letter for letter. If I ever get lucky enough on the show, I might look foolish but I'm going to be solving every puzzle slowly with enunciation so every syllable is heard. In my opinion, the only reason this woman should have been ruled correct is if she had some sort of speech impediment where pronouncing the "G" at the end of the word is difficult.

Of course, I say all of this but the next night solve was ruled correct, so I don't know what the heck was happening that tape day. (I analyzed and opined on both at Buzzer, if anyone cares to read.)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:40 AM »
Well if it was seven swams, I'd definitely say no.
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:05 AM »
I'm operating under the assumption that bradhig made a typo, but if she actually did say "swams" instead of "swans" then forget about "swimmin'", it's wrong no matter what (re: Armadillo and Laredo Texas).

EDIT: Damn you Mello! ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:30:49 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
If I were a writer, I would have made the puzzle "SEVEN SWANS A-SWIMMIN'" anyway, just to eliminate pronunciation issues.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »
If I were a writer, I would have made the puzzle "SEVEN SWANS A-SWIMMIN'" anyway, just to eliminate pronunciation issues.
But the real line is "Seven swans a-swimming".  You can't change the wording because you want to avoid someone dropping off a letter.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
I think this is way overblown now.  I was at work this morning, and it came up as a story on ABC's GMA Weekend.  They had reaction from the contestant herself.

I personally agree with Klauss, you have to read it as it's up there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:38:39 PM by NicholasM79 »

Vgmastr

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
But the real line is "Seven swans a-swimming".  You can't change the wording because you want to avoid someone dropping off a letter.

Not only that, but that wouldn't eliminate pronounciation issues.  I remember once a puzzle was "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" and a contestant was ruled incorrect when they added the G.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Not only that, but that wouldn't eliminate pronounciation issues.  I remember once a puzzle was "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" and a contestant was ruled incorrect when they added the G.

The real solution is pretty easy: Don't use any puzzle on your show that offers a reasonable chance of setting up a situation like this, because if it goes sour you're gonna get bad pub out of screwing over a contestant who falls into the trap.

There are lots of words in the English language, and lots of ways to combine them. Surely vetoing a few extra puzzles at the writer's meeting isn't going to slow down the writing process that much.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
I heard "swans" and "swimmin".  I don't know exactly when they suddenly decided to get tight on pronounciation, but it's more strict under Sajak than under Woolery.

I remember one bonus round where the puzzle was MILAN ITALY, and the contestant pronounced Milan "MY-lun" and was ruled incorrect.  On the other hand, back in the Woolery days, "Green-witch Village" was accepted for GREENWICH VILLAGE.  (In fact, the host reminding the players to solve the puzzle "exactly as it appears" started the day after somebody said "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" for TWEEDLEDUM AND TWEEDLEDEE and got credit for it.)

Another one from the Sajak days (although it's a legitimate call): being called wrong for saying "The Atlanta Falcons" for ATLANTA FALCONS.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
So what you're saying is that someone who says "PEE-can" in "Pecan Pie" (Like, say, someone with a southern accent)--would get ruled incorrect?

I'm on the opposite end--I think she should have been ruled correct.  There's a huge variance in dialects in North America--some leeway needs to be given.
--Matt

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
I'm on the opposite end--I think she should have been ruled correct.  There's a huge variance in dialects in North America--some leeway needs to be given.
I won't argue the dialect part, but in this case, it wasn't like she went for a different vernacular or alternate pronunciation (FWIW, the first page of a Google search reveals "A-Swimming"). She clearly left the "g" off the word, which is wrong.

I agree with Chris, that the puzzle shouldn't have been used. There are other "gifts" in the song that could've been used without causing that kind of confusion (A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE or TWO TURTLE DOVES, come to mind).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:10:14 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bradhig

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
I Spelled swans wrong.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
So what you're saying is that someone who says "PEE-can" in "Pecan Pie" (Like, say, someone with a southern accent)--would get ruled incorrect?

I'm not Southern and I pronounce it "pee-can". As do a lot of people.

It's not "swimmin", it's "swimming".
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022