Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF tie  (Read 6316 times)

gsnstooge

WOF tie
« on: December 17, 2003, 03:37:18 PM »
What happens when there is a tie on Wheel of Fortune?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF tie
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 04:42:56 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 01:37 PM\'] What happens when there is a tie on Wheel of Fortune? [/quote]
 I'd guess they'd play one more Toss-Up for the game. What mechanism they had in place before the Toss-Up, I have no idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

WOF tie
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:07:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 04:42 PM\'][quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 01:37 PM\'] What happens when there is a tie on Wheel of Fortune? [/quote]
I'd guess they'd play one more Toss-Up for the game. What mechanism they had in place before the Toss-Up, I have no idea.[/quote]
Before the tossup, the players involved in the tie played one more puzzle using speedup round rules (and no spin from Pat).  First player to solve the puzzle went on to the end game.

gameshowguy2000

WOF tie
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 05:27:48 PM »
I think that's happened before, has it not? If so, when?

MikeK

• Martha!
WOF tie
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 06:12:02 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 05:27 PM\'] I think that's happened before, has it not? If so, when? [/quote]
 I've seen at least 3 ties, the most recent of which was earlier this year.  I don't recall if it was late in the 2002-03 season or early on in the 03-04 season.

zachhoran

WOF tie
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 07:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 04:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 01:37 PM\'] What happens when there is a tie on Wheel of Fortune? [/quote]
I'd guess they'd play one more Toss-Up for the game. What mechanism they had in place before the Toss-Up, I have no idea. [/quote]
 A tie did happen last March, and they do now play a tossup puzzle. Before the tossup puzzles debuted, the syndie version had the tied players playing a speed up round(and, yes, Mark J., Pat did do a final spin and they did play for money or a gift certificate). A few times on the NBC daytime run in the 80s, there were ties at the end of the game. When this happened, there'd be no bonus round, and the contestants would appear on the show the next day, and the player with the highest total for the two days would be the champ. Rolf B. had to deal with such an occurrence during his brief tenure, and he had to be reminded of the rule. For special weeks on the NBC daytime run, the Speed Up tiebreaker would be played(I never saw this happen, but the official list of rules printed in the mid-1987 David Sams paperback book called WHeel of Fortune lists that rule). When the daytime version moved to CBS(and on NBC in 1991), the daytime show would break ties via a Speed Up round.

GSWitch

WOF tie
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 10:32:48 PM »
I remember in a mid 80's NBC Wheel episode had a lady & two gentlemen (one a 2 time champion) in which all three contestants stayed on for three episodes.

There were two ties that happened, so no Bonus Round.  But on the 3rd show, the returning champion won & became a rare 5-time champion (when Wheel first started, there were 5 time champions before it was reduced to three).

And it even happened on Wheel 2000 (Cyber Lucy)!  Two kids were tied, so they played an extra Speed-Up.  The extra final spin was edited, David landed on 5,000 points!  

I miss Cyber Lucy!

uncamark

WOF tie
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 12:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:32 PM\'] I miss Cyber Lucy! [/quote]
 Well now I've seen everything...

PeterMarshallFan

WOF tie
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 05:55:16 PM »
Rolf B. had to deal with such an occurrence during his brief tenure, and he had to be reminded of the rule

"I have no idea what to do here." Priceless.

gameshowguy2000

WOF tie
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 07:01:46 PM »
Ok, so in the Pre-TOSS-UP years, Pat would give the wheel a final spin, like he would in a regular speed-up round, but were the prize wedges taken off the wheel to make things fair?

zachhoran

WOF tie
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 07:21:29 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:01 PM\'] Ok, so in the Pre-TOSS-UP years, Pat would give the wheel a final spin, like he would in a regular speed-up round, but were the prize wedges taken off the wheel to make things fair? [/quote]
 Yes, anytime a speed up spin landed(or lands, Speed Up spins that don't land on a cash amount are edited out nowadays) on a prize space, Pat spins again. I always thought it would be interesting to play the Speed Up round for said prize when such a scenario occurred, considering the value of that prize could sometimes be worth enough to decide the match. For a tiebreaker round pre-Toss Ups, the prizes would be taken of the wheel before the final spin.

gsnstooge

WOF tie
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 07:23:22 PM »
I remember watching one episode of Wheel of Fortune with Bob Goen.  
Bob give the wheel its final spin and it kept on landing on Bankrupt, Lose a Turn, or a prize space so many times he had Vanna spin the wheel.

gameshowguy2000

WOF tie
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 07:38:22 PM »
That's more like it. I remember the time when he spun the wheel, and it landed on a prize space, and it landed there the second time, so he took it off.

That's what I like.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 07:39:14 PM by gameshowguy2000 »