Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 5 more "easy" questions...  (Read 5480 times)

urbanpreppie05

5 more "easy" questions...
« on: December 10, 2003, 03:02:34 PM »
1. In the USA version of Chain Reaction, was the same theme music used?

2. What game shows are currently showing in Great Britain?

3. Did anyone attend the 1999 Gordon Elliot pilot of Let's make a deal? And if so, what was it like?

4. Not counting Nighttime specials, didn't TPIR use a different theme in the opening once or twice?

5. Was Bullseye shot at Studio 33? The audience shot looked really familiar (along with the ULTRA COOL lighted sign)

BONUS 6. What was the lowest game winning total on Wheel of Fortune? (I saw one show at about 2,700)
insert signature here

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:04:11 PM »

Yes.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:39:25 PM »
Yes, although edited together oddly for the closing.

5. Was Bullseye shot at Studio 33? The audience shot looked really familiar (along with the ULTRA COOL lighted sign)
Yes, during its CBS tenure. The earlier shows were shot at NBC, where they had the audience bleachers visible for the open. It was reported back at the old place that Richard Kline (director) was barred from NBC for one reason or another, probably necessitating the change.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 03:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 03:02 PM\']2. What game shows are currently showing in Great Britain? [/quote]
A lot (although some of them would not be considered by some of us to be hardcore game shows).  Iain Weaver posts a weekly schedule to the ukgameshows Yahoo! Group, which I often repost to another game show board.  There's also Challenge?, the UK equivalent of GSN, which is also veering off into related genres of programming beyond studio game shows.

As for familiar titles to Americans, "WWTBAM," "TWL," "Ready...Steady (Set)...Cook!" and "Pop (American) Idol" (if you consider that a game show) are the only ones currently airing over there on the major five channels, IIRC.  "Family Fortunes (Feud)," "Play Your Cards Right" ("Card Sharks"), "Blankety Blank" ("Match Game"), "Catch Phrase" and "Wipeout" have been on the schedules in the last year, however--and the old standbys are the venerable "Countdown" and "Fifteen-to-One" on Channel 4--and "Fifteen-to-One" has already announced that this current season is their last, while it's rumored that "Countdown" is on the ropes, particularly since both shows were moved to earlier afternoon slots than where they were for years and years ("Countdown" was C4's very first show when it launched in 1982).

4. Not counting Nighttime specials, didn't TPIR use a different theme in the opening once or twice?

There was a different opening vamp before the expansion to an hour, but the theme's been the same for 32 years.

It was in the second and final season.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 04:34:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 02:39 PM\'] Yes, during its CBS tenure. The earlier shows were shot at NBC, where they had the audience bleachers visible for the open. It was reported back at the old place that Richard Kline (director) was barred from NBC for one reason or another, probably necessitating the change.
 [/quote]
Even if that's the case (about him being barred from NBC), Kline directed (and maybe produced, I don't remember) HOT POTATO at NBC's Burbank facility in 1984, so the move of BULLSEYE out of beautiful downtown Burbank and into CBS TV City three years earlier had nothing to do with any barring.

BTW, how was HOT POTATO played? :)

Doug
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 04:35:52 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 05:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 03:02 PM\'] 1. In the USA version of Chain Reaction, was the same theme music used?

2. What game shows are currently showing in Great Britain?

3. Did anyone attend the 1999 Gordon Elliot pilot of Let's make a deal? And if so, what was it like?

BONUS 6. What was the lowest game winning total on Wheel of Fortune? (I saw one show at about 2,700) [/quote]
 Wow! 4 people have beat Horan to the punch!  Isn't this a new record? :D
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 07:34:18 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 03:02 PM\']

BONUS 6. What was the lowest game winning total on Wheel of Fortune? (I saw one show at about 2,700) [/quote]
 I remember a $600 winning total in the first or second syndie season, and a $575 on the NBC daytime run in the 80s.

scully24

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 07:41:38 PM »
Re: WOF, I was a wining contestant on the daytome version in 1982, and my day's winnings were $2600 (in prizes.)

I came back to play on a second day and won the first round for an additional $900.  So my two-day total was $3500.

At about the same time my fiancee was on the show and she didn't even win the whole day, but she got $4400 for one round--more than I got for two days!

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 07:48:28 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:41 PM\'] Re: WOF, I was a wining contestant on the daytome version in 1982, and my day's winnings were $2600 (in prizes.)

I came back to play on a second day and won the first round for an additional $900.  So my two-day total was $3500.

At about the same time my fiancee was on the show and she didn't even win the whole day, but she got $4400 for one round--more than I got for two days! [/quote]
 Just curious...if you don't mind, what did you win in prizes, and what bonus round prize did you play for?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

scully24

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 08:00:07 PM »
Between my fiancee's prizes and the ones I won, I get them mixed up, because we ended up sharing them.  But I believe I won a 5 pc bedroom set, and Sylvania TV.  Funny, I remember the small stuff more than the big stuff--the Tang horse, and the dartboard cabinet.  Oh I remember now, I won this pine wood food pantry that was huge and I sold to my sister, and I had to help her lug it around on three subsequent moves.  Other prizes won between me and my fiancee--designer bedding, a dishwasher, a set of china--I just can't exactly remember who won what.

My bonus round clue was:

Category:  Thing

_ _ N _ _

_ _

S _ L T

Don't ask me why I couldn't get "pinch of salt," but I missed out on a trip to the Bahamas.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 08:09:22 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 08:00 PM\'] My bonus round clue was:

Category:  Thing

_ _ N _ _

_ _

S _ L T

Don't ask me why I couldn't get "pinch of salt," but I missed out on a trip to the Bahamas. [/quote]
 Trust me, I wouldn't have gotten that either. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

scully24

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 08:30:39 PM »
The money won on that episode of Wheel was even less then usual because it was Susan Stafford's last show, and so in order to save a few minutes for a farewell sendoff at the end, they made all the game material very short that day--all two and three word puzzles, so the opportunity to accumulate money in the game play was somewhat reduced, as was the playing time.

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 08:44:29 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 08:30 PM\'] The money won on that episode of Wheel was even less then usual because it was Susan Stafford's last show, and so in order to save a few minutes for a farewell sendoff at the end, they made all the game material very short that day--all two and three word puzzles, so the opportunity to accumulate money in the game play was somewhat reduced, as was the playing time. [/quote]
 Nice to be there for a part of history I'm sure. I'm willing to bet Fremantle doesn't allow for Claudia's last show coming soon to be acknowledged on-air.

scully24

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 08:58:59 PM »
Susan Stafford was really beloved on that show.  Pat Sajak was the new kid on the block at that time, whereas Susan had been on the show for eight years--what seemed like a lifetime in television.  Nobody could foresee that Wheel was going to get stronger and stay around for decades more.

I remember the whole staff came out on the stage at the end for the farewell, and the producer Nancy gave Susan a bunch of roses.  THe only one grumbling was Tony, our contestant coordinator, because he had to "dress up" that day for his one minute on camera.

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 09:09:51 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 08:58 PM\'] Nobody could foresee that Wheel was going to get stronger and stay around for decades more.

[/quote]
 That was around the point NBC wanted to drop the show as I recall, just on the cusp of its going nighttime. A lot of us would say Wheel was stronger in those days than it is now, but.........