Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Market-specific episodes  (Read 9409 times)

pyrfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 02:08:33 AM »
The syndie WLOD did a special episode for the Pittsburgh market, too. All the players were on-air personalities from ABC affiliate WTAE, which aired the show locally. I think I still have it on tape somewhere.

Brendan

opimus

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
WLS in Chicago had a WLoD episode Kevin Matthews local DJ and MR.Food looking a tool in a Chef's hat and apron.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:53:32 PM by opimus »

MikeK

• Martha!
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
WLS in Chicago had a WLoD episode Kevin Matthews local DJ and MR.Food looking a tool in a Chef's hat and apron.
Tool or otherwise, that's his trademark.  And "Ooh, it's so good."

1984Gameshowsfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
10:30 PM on a Wednesday? Dang, that sounds like a weird time to have one of those specials. I'm wondering something here though: did the time that it aired have anything to do with a sporting event?
I remember that it was after my bedtime at the time, so it was ten or ten-thirty.

also, out of pure curiousity Travis, would you happen to know who was on each team? I know the latter is probably unlikely, but I would like to know why it was aired at 10:30 PM on a Wednesday.
The radio team had the two morning jocks on 96.5 KXRX (because that's how I knew about this; one of the people said "Hey, I'm on this show, please watch!") and three others, and the "Local Seattle TV" team was the anchor team on KOMO at the time (So probably you had Dan, Kathi, Steve Pool, Bruce King and someone else.)

Cool; hopefully somebody has that Feud episode, or it ends up on YT someday, because it would be very interesting to see it.

Steve Gavazzi

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
The syndie WLOD did a special episode for the Pittsburgh market, too. All the players were on-air personalities from ABC affiliate WTAE, which aired the show locally. I think I still have it on tape somewhere.
Do you remember who was on it?  We used to watch that station all the time when it was on up here.

pyrfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:31 AM »
Do you remember who was on it?  We used to watch that station all the time when it was on up here.
I know one of them was Sally Wiggin, and I'm pretty sure Alby Oxenreiter was another. Don Cannon, too, I think.

Brendan

brianhenke

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »

WKRC aired a Cincinnati-based episode of WLoD in 1988 (IIRC).

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

toddyo

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »

WKRC aired a Cincinnati-based episode of WLoD in 1988 (IIRC).

Brian

WLWT did a similar episode with Ray Combs doing Family Feud at Combs' Comedy Connection. Gawd awful!

That Don Guy

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »
KGO in San Francisco had a local Wheel of Fortune with two-player teams from the Bay Area (the only celeb I remember from that episode was Warriors center Nate Thurmond), back when they did a week there (I'm pretty sure that was the "Vanna's Pregnant Round 2 Missing" week).

(At least I think it aired only in SF; the first puzzle was "Clara Barton" (founder of the American Red Cross), if anybody else remembers seeing it.)

1984Gameshowsfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
Sorry for the bump, but watching some lottery game shows on youtube got me to thinking about this topic again.

Hypothetically, either through a state lottery or through another company, would remaking old game shows, but only having them air in one state or area, with local contestants, local hosts, or prizes provided by local companies work nowadays? Or is that era pretty much over with.

For example, using my home state(and the home state of a few members on the boards): Washington, would like a localized version of Tic Tac Dough or Pyramid, or even something somewhat short lived like Bullseye of Face The Music work nowadays? I mean not as a daily series, but say once a week on a network of stations throughout the state the show is meant for?

This is just a thought I had, and I would be curious to see if anyone responds to this or has anything to say about it.

Jimmy Owen

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
Sorry for the bump, but watching some lottery game shows on youtube got me to thinking about this topic again.

Hypothetically, either through a state lottery or through another company, would remaking old game shows, but only having them air in one state or area, with local contestants, local hosts, or prizes provided by local companies work nowadays? Or is that era pretty much over with.

For example, using my home state(and the home state of a few members on the boards): Washington, would like a localized version of Tic Tac Dough or Pyramid, or even something somewhat short lived like Bullseye of Face The Music work nowadays? I mean not as a daily series, but say once a week on a network of stations throughout the state the show is meant for?

This is just a thought I had, and I would be curious to see if anyone responds to this or has anything to say about it.
Lotteries are out because, by law, the games cannot involve skill of any kind. Everything has to be luck-based.  As far as a local version of an old format, it's probably not worth the cost and effort.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:36:39 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

golden-road

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
WLWT did a similar episode with Ray Combs doing Family Feud at Combs' Comedy Connection. Gawd awful!

Sorry to go off-topic, but wasn't that how Louie Anderson auditioned, doing Feud with his own family at one of his shows?

1984Gameshowsfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »

Lotteries are out because, by law, the games cannot involve skill of any kind. Everything has to be luck-based.  As far as a local version of an old format, it's probably not worth the cost and effort.

True on the lottery part. I kind of figured that wouldn't work; as for the local version of an old format, considering what TV is like nowadays, I probably would think it wouldn't be worth the cost or effort either. Although it was an interesting thought nonetheless.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »

So then, perhaps something not skill-based, in the DOND family?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

SuperMatch93

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
So then, perhaps something not skill-based, in the DOND family?

Especially not the SCSD.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983