Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Player Injuries...  (Read 14837 times)

TimK2003

Player Injuries...
« on: October 15, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »
I was watching an old episode of Pictionary on the VCR the other day, and started listing shows in which a celebrity or player was physically injured, but the game went on with them.

1)  Pictionary -- Bill Maher gets his nose broken by Eric Estrada...The game resumes with Maher icing his nose the rest of the game.

2)  TPIR -- A contestant blows out his knee during the Dice Game...he was sporting crutches by the end of the show.

3)  Whew -- A detective nicknamed Blackie blows out his knee after winning the main match...He comes back (to a Pomp & Circumstance return -- literally) a few weeks later to run the Gauntlet, and wins the $25K on his first attempt.

Others???

chad1m

Player Injuries...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
Double Dare's Pie in the Pants - pies + G.I. Joes = broken nose

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Player Injuries...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »
How about to the host?

Of course, that could only be "The Big Falldown."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Player Injuries...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'228565\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 02:05 PM\']Double Dare's Pie in the Pants - pies + G.I. Joes = broken nose[/quote]

I remember reading that on Double Dare Deluge back in the day, which was before there was a Nick GAS to rerun these shows. Unless there were separate incidents, the kid in question actually caught a soldier to the forehead which cut him open. I can't recall seeing any blood or anything (I could always pull the tape), but during the commercial he was fitted with a band-aid, and Marc pointed it out. This was in 1987, and I believe the New York SSDD.

Can't forget Dr. Joyce's bum ankle on the one existing episode of Showoffs. Host injuries, there are plenty, but that might be a separate thread. :) Bob Barker's hosted with a broken toe and tennis elbow, and Ray Combs bled from the forehead after a contestant hit him with a microphone on Family Challenge, among several others.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chad1m

Player Injuries...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
Maybe there were two incidents or maybe I'm meshing two. I really do seem to recall an incident where a contestant was replaced following a commercial break.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Player Injuries...
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'228574\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 02:31 PM\']Maybe there were two incidents or maybe I'm meshing two. I really do seem to recall an incident where a contestant was replaced following a commercial break.[/quote]
That would be the G.I. Joe-broken-nose incident.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Player Injuries...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'228575\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 03:55 PM\']That would be the G.I. Joe-broken-nose incident.[/quote]

If you guys are citing this from seeing it yourself, my apologies, but here's the text from Double Dare Deluge (which is still up on a new provider) from which you may be "recalling" the story:

Someone on the show wanted to come up with a stunt along the similar lines of "Pie in Your Pants," except with no mess (this occurred in 1987 or so, when about the only thing messy in DD was the obstacle course). The thought of using G.I. Joe action figures seemed to work right with kids as well. Well, these two ideas combined into what would become the most hazardous stunt ever attempted on the show. One player would be catapulting the G.I. Joe's, while the other would be catching them. The stunt was played smoothly apparently, and nothing appeared wrong while they went to a commercial. But as they came back, Marc announced that the player who caught the action figures accidentally caught one in the face, and suffered a broken nose. Strangely enough, the player was replaced by another one (a la American Gladiators) and the show continued, escaping a very ill-conceived idea.

And going back into my unpublished archive of Every Physical Challenge Ever, the stunt I have on tape used Flying Zucchini Brothers toys. Both could have happened, sure, but I doubt they would have attempted the stunt in another permutation after just one injury. I imagine the story above is from childhood memories, with some of the details fudged up over time. Just look at how people thought Telephone Game was played on The Price is Right before there was videotape evidence to correct it. It was wildly different, and the only thing Chris Jaunsen messed up (if indeed this only happened once) was the type of action figure, and the result.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mmb5

Player Injuries...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
Dr. Joyce Brothers on Showoffs.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

Player Injuries...
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
Reportedly there was a player injured during a dangerous stunt on Anything You Can Do, which is one reason why Gene Wood quit after the first year of the show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dazztardly

Player Injuries...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:04:54 PM »
Countless injuries on American Gladiators...

Battle Dome in it's two season run, had some brutal injuries. I remember one player who dislocated his thumb, and willfully popped it back into place. Jake Fury broke his ankle on the Battle Wheel.

dazztardly

Player Injuries...
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
The UK version of Catch Phrase in it's first episode of the revamped 2000 series, host Nick Weir broke his leg.

rjaguar3

Player Injuries...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
Although this contestant didn't continue, on the Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? episode "Auld Lang Gone," contestant Jasmine Doman broke her arm in the bonus round and was replaced by Ed Mann, who won.  The episode was never aired.

whewfan

Player Injuries...
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
Not so much an injury, but a sudden illness happened on Dawson FF

An elderly guy was a member of one of the families, and he was fine during the first round. During the commercial break, the man fell ill, and sat on a stool for the rest of the show. Richard pointed out he was ill, and when Richard approached the ill man for an answer, he was clearly not in the right state, looking tired and a little disoriented. Richard demanded "Don't give him a strike!" and went on to the next player.

I also remember a guy on Password Plus had back problems and eventually had to stop playing. I don't recall if he returned to play.

Ross Schaeffer took a tumble on the steps during an intro on MG 90, and was apparently not injured, but one of the panelists mocked his fall by sporting bandages.

A Name that Tune contestant lost her footing when being overly excited on the Lange NTT. Ironically the song title was "Please Help Me I'm Falling"

weaklink75

Player Injuries...
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:48:36 PM »
Didn't someone hurt themselves playing Dice Game on TPIR once?

beatlefreak84

Player Injuries...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:43 PM »
The first one I could think of was on Combs Family Challenge...during a stunt, one of the kids ran past Ray and knocked the microphone back into his forehead and cracked it open.  They surprisingly (at least to me) not only replayed the incident in slo-mo, but showed Ray with the bloody forehead immediately afterwards.

He took it in good spirits, though...got bandaged up during the break and was back for the rest of the show.

EDIT:  Whoops...realized the OP asked for players/celebrities...sorry!

Anthony
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:10:25 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™