Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shopping-era WoF question.  (Read 8689 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Shopping-era WoF question.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'179033\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 12:33 PM\']
Classic Mello.[/quote]
Yeah, can't say I'm surprised.

Thanks for the remotely-accurate information.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179026\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 01:50 PM\']

With a puzzle board that doesn't have to be manually loaded, and, indeed, doesn't have to even display the puzzle until the contestants need to see it?

Would someone do me a favor and confirm this, or is this just more Classic Mello?
[/quote]

We left the podiums to get our bearings together, drank water, and watch the stagehands change dollar values (or add the mystery wedges). There was no need to turn our backs other than that.

/Season 22 contestant, 2005

davemackey

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'178989\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 02:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'gsfreak82\' post=\'178965\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 06:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'178872\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 11:47 AM\']
There was a list of prizes and values off camera. Notice they're looking off to where the used letter board is, rather than at the turntable. And, lest we forget, "the prices of the prizes were furnished to the contestants prior to the show..."[/quote]
Ah yes the late great Jack Clark.

"The prices of the prizes were furnished to the contestants prior to the show and have been rounded off to the nearest dollar, gift certifficates do not include sales tax".
[/quote]
I had the pleasure of sitting with Jack during one tape day. He was in a little utility room just off the studio floor with a 3x5 card for each of the prizes spread out in front of him. As the players bought prizes he grabbed the correct cards, and read the copy from that deck of cards. Nice, nice guy.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Of course, that was Charlie O'Donnell who first uttered those words. but still...

RANDY: Jack was eventually moved to an area just in front of the audience seating area to get him out in the open. It was interesting to watch him work the cards the day I saw Wheel tape at NBC.

Of course, that was the day I almost threw up on Jack Clark, but that's another story for another time.

vtown7

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'179058\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 05:25 PM\']

With a puzzle board that doesn't have to be manually loaded, and, indeed, doesn't have to even display the puzzle until the contestants need to see it?

Would someone do me a favor and confirm this, or is this just more Classic Mello?
[/quote]

We left the podiums to get our bearings together, drank water, and watch the stagehands change dollar values (or add the mystery wedges). There was no need to turn our backs other than that.

/Season 22 contestant, 2005
[/quote]

That must have changed since I was on (taped March 97, aired May 97, just a few months after the puzzle board switch).  We had to come down at the commercial breaks, turn around while getting make up touches and getting a glass of water, and then were allowed back on the podiums at the start of the next round after the break.

I seem to recall that the reasoning was that a puzzle might randomly pop up on the board.  I suppose that they were still working out the kinks with the new board.

Ryan :)

beatlefreak84

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »
I do know they made us turn our backs during the placement of the Mystery Wedges (while getting a drink of water, I accidentally almost turned around and was VERY quickly corrected; I didn't see anything, though, so it was all good...:) ), but, other than that, we just had our make-up reapplied and got a drink of water during breaks.

Anthony (contestant in January 2006)
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

lobster

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'178897\' date=\'Feb 25 2008, 12:01 PM\']
 And in those days the contestants had to turn their backs during commercial breaks (to not give them an unfair advantage over home viewers, I presume).
[/quote]

My impression always was that they didn't want them staring at the puzzle long enough to perhaps figure it out -- so the unfair advantage would go to the contestant whose turn it was when they went to "break"..

lobster

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'179025\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 01:47 PM\']
They still have the contestants turn their backs between puzzles.
[/quote]

Wtf for? :p .. They don't have to manually set up the board anymore, that makes no sense.  

..unless that's strictly during the one round where they hide the mystery round wedges

lobster

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'179025\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 11:47 AM\']
They still have the contestants turn their backs between puzzles.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Saw Wheel in Dallas last year and I do remember them stepping down to a space behind where they normally stood, but they just stood there and chatted with the coordinators who handed 'em bottles of water, told them they're doing great, keep up the energy, etc .. but I don't remember backs being turned.. btw downtime "between puzzles" took just as long as them updating the wheel, which seemed to be just under a minute..

having said that, for some odd reason they made us turn our backs on lingo when they loaded the ball bowl between lingos... and they wouldn't explain why :o

lobster

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'179041\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 03:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'179033\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 12:33 PM\']

When I did my behind-the-scenes stories a few years back, there was no turning around for any reason. This was before the Mystery Wedges, however.[/quote]
Mystery wedgies? No wonder Pat and Vanna sometimes walk funny   ;-)

And w-a-a-a-y back at NBC I remember them stopping tape after each puzzle to reload the board with black letters on scratchy plexiglass rectangles. I miss the analog world!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Wasn't the puzzle board a huge trilon that rotated around to reveal another already-loaded puzzle?  (and if so did that come later on after just having a single puzzleboard originally?) I believe my childhood memories are pestering me with that visual...

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'179150\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 11:06 AM\']
Wasn't the puzzle board a huge trilon that rotated around to reveal another already-loaded puzzle?  (and if so did that come later on after just having a single puzzleboard originally?) I believe my childhood memories are pestering me with that visual...
[/quote]
I don't believe that was ever the case. The one board would move in and out, but not to be replaced by another board.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvrandywest

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'179156\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 08:47 AM\']
[/quote]
I don't believe that was ever the case. The one board would move in and out, but not to be replaced by another board.
[/quote]
Correct. Perhaps lobster is thinking of Family Feud's transition between rounds?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:41:54 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

lobster

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'179167\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 12:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'179156\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 08:47 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Correct. Perhaps lobster is thinking of Family Feud's transition between rounds?
[/quote]

Naw, this was definitely a WOF memory -- what I think I remember seeing was -- as they were rotating the turntable to the next section of prizes, you can see the puzzle board off to the side appear as if it was rotating over to another puzzle board -- but if you say that was never the case I believe you :D .. maybe that was just a reflection illusion

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'179171\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 11:12 AM\']
Naw, this was definitely a WOF memory -- what I think I remember seeing was -- as they were rotating the turntable to the next section of prizes, you can see the puzzle board off to the side appear as if it was rotating over to another puzzle board -- but if you say that was never the case I believe you :D .. maybe that was just a reflection illusion[/quote]
Yeah, it was an illusion. I know what you think you were seeing (because I noticed it too), and you weren't seeing it. The puzzle board would slide out to be reloaded, and then slide back in. You'd see it happen occasionally on the nighttime show when a prize that was too big for the main part of the set (like a boat) was won in the endgame.

lobster

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179177\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 01:33 PM\']
Yeah, it was an illusion. I know what you think you were seeing (because I noticed it too), and you weren't seeing it. The puzzle board would slide out to be reloaded, and then slide back in. You'd see it happen occasionally on the nighttime show when a prize that was too big for the main part of the set (like a boat) was won in the endgame.
[/quote]

Ah... so they didn't just turn each trilon one by one and change the letters out while the puzzle board was in place?  Why would the whole board need to slide out?

and speaking of WOf trilons :D .. were they free-spinning or did they snap into place?  Like.. would someone have been able to walk by them with their hand extended and "spin" them to where they'd flip around 360°?  

/Vanna never spoke back then
//Ah the good ol days :D

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 03:49:46 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'179189\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 12:46 PM\']
Ah... so they didn't just turn each trilon one by one and change the letters out while the puzzle board was in place?  Why would the whole board need to slide out?[/quote]
Just a guess, but I have to think they wanted to see the entire puzzle in revealed state when they loaded it, otherwise it would be too easy to slip up and send GIRL SCOTUS OF AMERICA out there.