Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slide show of hosts  (Read 9014 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143762\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 12:33 PM\']
Just because YOU don't agree with me doesn't give you a reason to be a snark, Odor. Oh, wait. You don't need any reason.
[/quote]
QFI.

/that's "quoted for irony"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:01:15 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Love Connection must be a game show.
Chuck Woolery is a game show host. So if Chuck's on it, it's a game show.
His talk show was a game show. Audience, applause, announcer, music.
Chuck guested on a week of Romance Theatre shows.
Therefore, Romance Theatre is a game show.
And Louis Jourdan is a game show host.
Johnny Gilbert is a game show announcer.
Johnny Gilbert announced on Dinah!
Dinah!, therefore, is a game show.
Stu Billett aided in the creation of Split Second.
Split Second is a game show.
Stu also aided in the creation of The People's Court.
So it's a game show.
Stu even said it was (Congrefs V, July 16th 2006).

Matt Ottinger

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143756\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 02:58 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'143723\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 12:39 PM\']And someone around here once made the apt description of "Fear Factor" as "'Beat the Clock' on steroids."  Maybe it's not our kind of show, but it's a game show nonetheless.[/quote]And I say you're wrong. "Fear Factor" is NOT a game show. It's a bad reality show, nothing more.[/quote]
I think you'll find the "BtC on steroids" comment was mine, so it's somewhat mystifying to me that PYLDude can't (or, more likely, refuses to) see the obvious game show elements.  If we've proven anything here over the years, it's that no one perfect definition decides what is or is not a game show.  And heck, even NBC would like you to call it a "reality" show because in today's climate, that sounds a lot cooler.  

Still, in my mind (and obviously in many others), there's precious little difference between what people try to accomplish on Beat the Clock and what people try to accomplish on Fear Factor.  Do the task faster than anybody else, win the prize.  If in your particular reality, the differences of being outdoors or of being an hour long or of not providing Rice-A-Roni to the runners-up are significant, then good for you.  I don't see how that makes the rest of us "wrong".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
Nail on the head. And I'd like to reiterate I never said LC was a game show, Don's joke and Chris' reply notwithstanding.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 07:09:04 PM »
It must be the mechanism, because "Singles select a date from three potential choices" could be a description of both LC and DG.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'143783\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 04:09 PM\']
It must be the mechanism, because "Singles select a date from three potential choices" could be a description of both LC and DG.
[/quote]
The difference, as I have said before, is that the selection process happens on-camera on DG, while the mass majority of it on LC happens on the "contestant's" couch at his/her home.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'143781\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 06:18 PM\']
Still, in my mind (and obviously in many others), there's precious little difference between what people try to accomplish on Beat the Clock and what people try to accomplish on Fear Factor.  Do the task faster than anybody else, win the prize.  If in your particular reality, the differences of being outdoors or of being an hour long or of not providing Rice-A-Roni to the runners-up are significant, then good for you.  I don't see how that makes the rest of us "wrong".
[/quote]

The last part of that sounds like someone I used to know on an old message board, but I digress. (For the record, I always thought Rice-A-Roni sucked as a game show prize.)

I could care less if a competition show is an hour long. If I'm to take your "my particular reality" tidbit seriously, that would disqualify Millionaire, Greed, TPIR, and others in the past that have felt the need to go to an hour.

The competition factor is present in almost all of these game-based reality shows (like Fear Factor, Survivor, TAR, and others). The thing that separates them from game shows is the snippets in between the actual competition, like interviews and such. Granted, at least one game show that I can think of off the top of my head had interview snippets in between competition (Weakest Link), but in most of these shows, like Fear Factor, there's very little competition, and they need to find filler somehow- which takes them away from the game show and into the reality show.

It's just a matter of opinion. You (and the others) believe you're right. I don't. But can we at least agree to disagree on it, for now?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 11:41:22 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143816\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 08:25 PM\']
The thing that separates them from game shows is the snippets in between the actual competition, like interviews and such.
[/quote]
Studio 7.

But we thank you for your participation.

PYLdude

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 11:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'143821\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 11:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143816\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 08:25 PM\']
The thing that separates them from game shows is the snippets in between the actual competition, like interviews and such.
[/quote]
Studio 7.

But we thank you for your participation.
[/quote]

You didn't read the rest of the statement, did you Chris? I did say that there were exceptions.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 12:46:27 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143822\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 08:44 PM\']
You didn't read the rest of the statement, did you Chris? I did say that there were exceptions.
[/quote]
Yes, I did. I'm just saying that it's a patently stupid theory at its surface.

PYLdude

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 12:49:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'143824\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143822\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 08:44 PM\']
[/quote]
Yes, I did. I'm just saying that it's a patently stupid theory at its surface.
[/quote]

That's your opinion, and you're more than entitled to it. I just happen to believe in something else.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 12:50:44 AM »
Actually, I had an epiphany on what makes Love Connection a game show: Pick the same date as the audience picks for you, and you win a second date at the show's expense.

The first date is all preamble.
@lambertman

clemon79

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'143826\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 09:50 PM\']
Actually, I had an epiphany on what makes Love Connection a game show: Pick the same date as the audience picks for you, and you win a second date at the show's expense.

The first date is all preamble.
[/quote]
Except that's not necessarily a prize, if the date sucked. Plus, the "contestant" is asked to pick who he wants to go out with, the audience is the one trying to guess who he picked - and the audience receives nothing whether they are right or wrong.

Love Connection is not a game show.

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143825\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 09:49 PM\']
That's your opinion, and you're more than entitled to it. I just happen to believe in something else.
[/quote]
So does Craig Karlberg.

PYLdude

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 01:00:09 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'143827\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:54 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'143825\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 09:49 PM\']
[/quote]
So does Craig Karlberg.
[/quote]

Too far, Chris.

Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean that I should be labeled anything NEAR Karlberg. I respect your opinion and the rest of those who believe that Fear Factor and shows like it are game shows. I'd appreciate it if you respected mine and didn't instantly assume that I was as an illogical person as Karlberg appears to be with a lot of his posts.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »
What makes this whole 'discussion' absurd is that you're asking everyone involved to use the same definition as you are, and clearly that's not happening. Even worse, the definitions being used have so many exceptions that they stop becoming rules. I know where I draw the line as to what a game show is, and what ain't, and unless presented with overwhelming evidence and the threat of physical harm to my carcass, I'm going to stick by it.

And another thing: the phrase "reality show" is a complete lie. None of the situations posed are "real" in the least. Have any of you been marooned on an island where you voted people off of the island instead of say, gutting them for organ meat? Or being presented with twenty-five nubile lasses who will unashamedly throw themselves at you for the possibility of a promise of marriage?

(You in the back, put your hand down. Smart ass.)

No. None of this is real in the least. I'm happy to make a division of competitions and "other," because for the most part I don't watch the "other." This isn't "Hey, isn't Pat O'Brien a great guy?" (and yes, he really is!) because we're all in on the joke. This hasn't been funny for years. All we're doing is spinning the wheels and sinking in mud. After all, in the end, what do we get out of any "solution" to the question?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:13:03 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle