Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 155604 times)

PYLW

GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2006, 01:43:55 AM »
I'm guessing sometime this week or next week, we'll see Super Password, since Password Plus got list treatment.

Today was a thumbs up, but not as big as yesterday's. I like WBSM, but a lot of people refer to when it was on a lot (Anyone know when it aired? I think from 5-6 P.M., correct me if I'm wrong.) of times in one day. I never had GSN then, but I remember Comedy Central's reruns. Good epsiode tonight. And it was a treat for me to see that epsiode of Password Plus, because I missed every epsiode with Cronin. Thumbs up so far for this week. However *highlight to read* [color=\"#99ffff\"]I did see for tommorow via my cable guide that only two shows will be on. Does that mean MAYBE Weakest Link will air tommorow? We'll have to see.[/color]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 01:44:10 AM by PYLW »

BrandonFG

« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2006, 01:47:23 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'126120\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 01:43 AM\']
 I think from 5-6 P.M., correct me if I'm wrong.) of times in one day. I never had GSN then, but I remember Comedy Central's reruns. [/color]
[/quote]
IIRC, 6-7 pm, with reruns later on in the evening (during the 11pm hour maybe?)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'126102\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:10 PM\']
Password Plus: shouldn't have been on the list because its password with a puzzle.[/quote]
For that reason, it's similar to Wheel Of Fortune since they both have puzzles.
Also, they were both on NBC daytime.
WHEEL OF FORTUNE was once a Password Puzzle on Password Plus.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'126133\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:45 AM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'126102\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:10 PM\']
Password Plus: shouldn't have been on the list because its password with a puzzle.[/quote]
For that reason, it's similar to Wheel Of Fortune since they both have puzzles.
Also, they were both on NBC daytime.
[/quote]
And tomorrow's the 26th anniversary of WoF and P+ airing back-to-back on weekdays (WoF would be P+'s lead-in for the next 15 months [roughly], when P+ would replace CS in the death slot).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2006, 11:01:04 AM »
August 3rd 1941: Former jailbird Martha Stewart was born.
Not to hi-jack, but this reminded me of something I found this morning. Original Entertainment Tonight co-host Ron Hendren was born today in 1945. You being the TV historian you are, just wanted to pass that along. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »

Ahhh....but was "Password Plus" once a puzzle on WHEEL OF FORTUNE??!!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SteveRep

« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »
After reading how P+ is significantly different that Password and deserves a seperate ranking, I'm OK with that. But I'm afraid SP is also going to get a full-show spot, even though it's the same game as P+, because they have rights.

Does GSN have rights to any incarnation of the original Password when it was first-to-25 points?

Also, I think we're at the point where, regardless of disagreement with placement or disappointment with lack of rights, all the shows from here to the end will be top-shelf stuff.

Don Howard

« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'126135\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:01 AM\']
Original Entertainment Tonight co-host Ron Hendren was born today in 1945.[/quote]
Ah, yes. Those were the good old non-scandal ridden story days of the show, the first to be beamed by satellite to affiliated stations to allow for same day taping and airing. Ron was a last minute switch in the third host's seat. Mario Machado was originally to be co-host with the quickly-into-the-run-dismissed Tom Hallick and Marjorie Wallace. In spite of that, TV-8 in Cleveland {where I used to work} continued running promos for ET mentioning the host team of Tom, Marjorie and Mario well after Dixie Whatley replaced Marjorie and only she and Ron were co-hosting. The guy who did the promo for TV8 [Mike Marlier] would keep saying (off-air), "They're all gone. Why doesn't somebody redo that?" Mike couldn't go into a recording studio and re-tape one himself without an engineer around. That would've been a big doggone AFTRA boo-boo.

Game show connection! Mario Machado was the announcer on the game show that starred The Rice Twins. Say----maybe that show will make it into spot #24 or #23 and be shown tonight.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:22:33 AM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2006, 11:18:40 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'126141\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 10:15 AM\']
Does GSN have rights to any incarnation of the original Password when it was first-to-25 points?
[/quote]
Yes.  They've shown black-and-white prime-time episodes from the early-to-mid 1960s before, as well as color daytime eps from 1966-67.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »
I'm guessing sometime this week or next week, we'll see Super Password, since Password Plus got list treatment.
[/quote]
Actually, I'd say it's up in the air, since Bill Dwyer introduced it as "Password Plus, which became Super Password." So maybe both were covered by last night.

SteveRep

« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'126146\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:23 AM\']
[/quote]
Actually, I'd say it's up in the air, since Bill Dwyer introduced it as "Password Plus, which became Super Password." So maybe both were covered by last night.
[/quote]
I'm just now watching my tape (note to self: watch tape before reading GSF board!) and heard Bil's intro, which lends hope to no SP.

PYLW

« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2006, 02:07:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'126146\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:23 AM\'] [quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'126120\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 01:43 AM\']
[/quote]
Actually, I'd say it's up in the air, since Bill Dwyer introduced it as "Password Plus, which became Super Password." So maybe both were covered by last night. [/quote]

Hmm...I'm not too much of a fan of that (But I may only be saying that because I like Super Password better.)...

Neumms

« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'126143\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 10:17 AM\']
Original Entertainment Tonight co-host Ron Hendren was born today in 1945.[/quote]
Ron was a last minute switch in the third host's seat. Mario Machado was originally to be co-host with the quickly-into-the-run-dismissed Tom Hallick and Marjorie Wallace. In spite of that, TV-8 in Cleveland {where I used to work} continued running promos for ET mentioning the host team of Tom, Marjorie and Mario well after Dixie Whatley replaced Marjorie and only she and Ron were co-hosting.
[/quote]

Let me ask: Why did they replace Dixie with Mary Hart? What had Mary been doing? (Or whom, if that works better.) And did they go from Ron Hendren to Robb Weller, or was someone in between?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2006, 02:25:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'126173\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 11:07 AM\']
Hmm...I'm not too much of a fan of that (But I may only be saying that because I like Super Password better.)...
[/quote]
Pardon me while I "wow".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2006, 03:14:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'126175\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 02:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'126143\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 10:17 AM\']
Ron was a last minute switch in the third host's seat. Mario Machado was originally to be co-host with the quickly-into-the-run-dismissed Tom Hallick and Marjorie Wallace. In spite of that, TV-8 in Cleveland {where I used to work} continued running promos for ET mentioning the host team of Tom, Marjorie and Mario well after Dixie Whatley replaced Marjorie and only she and Ron were co-hosting.
[/quote]
Let me ask: Why did they replace Dixie with Mary Hart? What had Mary been doing? (Or whom, if that works better.) And did they go from Ron Hendren to Robb Weller, or was someone in between?
[/quote]
By the summer of 1982, Entertainment Tonight and the weekend program Entertainment This Week had different co-hosts. Ron and Dixie hosted ET while Steve Edwards and Mary Hart hosted ETW. By late summer, Mary got the weekday gig and Dixie was moved to weekends to co-host with Steve, later replaced by Alan Arthur.
Alan and Dixie left in 1984 and were replaced by the team of Robb Weller and Leeza Gibbons. Shortly after this new ETW duo hit the air, ET's fourth season was beginning and Ron Hendren demanded a raise, which he was not given. If he was offered an increase, the size of it was not pleasing to Ron. So he walked and Robb began two years of double duty, which ended in 1986 when John Tesh took over the ET co-hosting chores with Mary Hart.
Here's your game show connection: In 1985, Peter Tomarken was supposed to become ETW co-host with Leeza, but a conflict arose when Press Your Luck was trying to grab a syndicated berth, which it did not get.
So Robb stayed put on the weekend show.

This has been my 3030th post. As Blake Emmons has said, "How quickly it happens. Thirty and thirty".
Let's see Dylan Lane come up with quips like that. Dylan probably wouldn't even make a good jingle writer.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:15:54 PM by Don Howard »